Running in the summer under the strong ultraviolet rays, you are not the only one who is so worried about sunburn. Dark spots and freckles come out no matter how much you care for the skin and take measures against UV rays… And once you have them on your face, they are there to stay, so many of you may rather hesitate to go for a run in the summer time. Well, meet a female runners’ saver, goji berry!
New Discovery! Goji Berry Prevents UV Damage
Goji berry has been well known for its effect as elixir from ancient times and also been treasured in the Chinese medicinal cuisine. Shiseido has revealed through its research that goji berry has an effect of protecting the skin from UV damage.
The skin that has been exposed to the UV rays and damaged by them suffers from inflammation and chromatosis, resulting in dark spots. Apparently, if you take goji berry extract, the skin becomes more resilient to UV damage and also recovers quicker. Goji berry is a super food as not only drinking, but also eating it eventually enhances your skin’s resilience against dark spots!
By using sunscreen and whitening lotion together, you can double the effect. Add goji berry to your summer running routine and block the sun from within!
Professional Secret: Goji Berry Recipes for Runners!
Goji berry is a great supporter for runners. Aren’t you interested in simple recipes with goji berry? Here is the cooking expert, Ms. Asami Kuchio, to introduce some great menus!
“Salad is one of the ideal healthy dishes as you can easily take goji berries with lots of vegetables and herbs on one plate. By adding quinoa (or millet) to increase volume, you can make it a main dish, too. Or you can top with nuts and enjoy a nice roasted aroma. The sweetness of goji berries adds a unique accent to the flavor.”
Cooking expert, Ms. Asami Kuchio, introduces ideas for fun and fashionable cooking. Actively works via various media. http://www.kurashijouzu.jp (Japanese only)
Stay Spotless! Goji Berry Salad
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Ingredients (serves 2) :
- Quinoa … 1/2 cup (or 100g (3.5 oz.) millet)
- Goji berries … 1 tbsp.
- Chickpeas … 1/2 cup
- Cottage cheese … 1 tbsp.
- Aromatic herbs, such as parsley or coriander … 1 tbsp. (chopped)
- Green leafy vegetables of your choice … a handful (chopped)
- Walnuts … a dash
- Salt … 1/2 tsp.
- Pepper … a dash
- Lemon juice … 2 tbsp.
- Olive oil … 3 tbsp.
How to Cook
- Rinse Quinoa in cold water. Place it in a pan with 1.5 fold of water, bring to a boil and simmer for approx. 10 min until quinoa turns soft. Drain the water, place the quinoa into a bowl and let rest to cool down.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing.
- Add goji berries, chickpeas, cottage cheese, chopped herbs and green leafy vegetables into the bowl, dress and toss.
- Place into a dish and sprinkle with crushed walnuts to serve.
And here is a recipe for a goji berry dessert, ideal to replenish vitamins after a workout. It looks very refreshing and easy on the belly even in the hot summer when you tend to lose your appetite. Ms. Kuchio recommends this menu, saying that “you can make it in small portions and stock them in the fridge so you can eat it whenever you like!”
Easy and Tasty. Goji Berries and Fruits Gelée
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4):
- Goji berries … 1 tbsp.
- Grapefruit or orange (a fruit of your choice) … 1
- Chia seeds (if available) … 1 tsp.
- Water … 300cc
- Caster sugar … 60g (2 oz.)
- Gelatin powder … 5g (0.2 oz.) (soak in 50cc of hot water to dissolve)
- Lemon juice … 1 tsp.
How to Cook
- Put the water and caster sugar in a small pan and heat gently. Once it boils and the caster sugar dissolves, turn off the heat and add the dissolved gelatin and lemon juice, and stir. Soak goji berries in a small amount of water to soften.
- Peel a grapefruit or orange, take out the pulp and cut in bite size slices.
- Place the fruit pulp in a mold or glass and pour the gelée mixture with goji berries and chia seeds in, then place in the fridge for approx. 60 minutes (other than cooking time) to cool and set.
So, how do you find these goji berry recipes? Goji berries enhance UV protection and taste delicious! Why don’t you try one today? If you find no time to cook, save your effort with ready-made drinks and tablets to take it every day. We will be introducing more information on body and beauty maintenance based on Shiseido’s research, so please stay tuned!
RUN, RUN, BEAUTY Editorial is a Shiseido’s website to encourage female runners to enjoy running and stay beautiful. If there is anything you are worried about, want to know better or ask questions, please count on our members, including experienced professionals and running girls! We provide various kinds of information on the topics that only RUN, RUN, BEAUTY Editorial can offer.
June 12th, 2017 How to Keep Muscle in the Rainy Season: Diet Tips and Recipe
December 28th, 2016 Run to Lose Weight? Effective Diet and Right Amount of Exercise
November 24th, 2016 Alleviate post-run fatigue with beneficial bath techniques!
November 2nd, 2016 Just the Thing After a Run! Easy Self-Massage for Beauty
Good Posture and More! Upper Arms Slimming Techniques
How to Keep Muscle in the Rainy Season: Diet Tips and Recipe
Massage & Stretches for Beautiful Body: Legs
Go for Functions or Design? How to Select the Best Running Watch
Risa Takenaka of Shiseido Running Club Gives Tips on How to Choose Running Shoes